Saturday, August 23, 2008

Our Montessori Backstory, Part Two

Part Two in our continuing series...

I hemmed and hawed and prayed and wrung my hands before finally picking up the phone and calling a friend who had a preschool-aged child but no preschool plans that I knew of. I explained that although we loved our daughter's school and teachers, there were some aspects of it that we weren't thrilled with, and that I was considering starting a home-based Montessori preschool. Imagine my delighted surprise when, before I could even get out the persuasive script I had written in my head, she said, "I'm in."

"REALLY?!" I said.

I couldn't believe it. I made a similar call to another friend, and again I was pleasantly surprised when she loved the idea. She said she would discuss it with her husband and get back to me, and then I didn't hear from her for about a week. I started second-guessing myself, thinking that this was a dumb idea and that I should just forget about it and re-enroll our daughter in school when my friend called and said she was in, too.

"REALLY?" I said.

And then things got really interesting. My first friend reminded me that (in her previous life, pre-kids) she had been a kindergarten teacher and could lead circle time. My second friend reminded me that (in her previous life, pre-kids) she had been a band teacher and could teach music lessons. So that just left me to lead the Montessori lessons.

How hard could it be? I thought. My husband's attitude was, "They're preschoolers - all you have to do is stay one step ahead of them." We ordered a full classroom of Montessori materials, and a week later, a deliveryman left 379 pounds of stuff in our living room. Let the hyperventilating begin!

Stay tuned for the thrilling conclusion of "Our Montessori Backstory"...

2 comments:

N from the Learning Ark said...

I can't believe i haven't visited your blog before. Its great! I love what your doing at ur home-pre-school. I just added you to my blog list and thanks for reading my blog :)

Karen said...

I am a first time visitor and hope to read your entire blog from start to finish. Right now, our oldest is finishing his first year of Montessori children's house, but we cannot continue at the school because of rising tuition costs. I am looking at doing some Montessori education at home and ordered a few materials today. I'm a bit scared though! The photos of your home / classroom look wonderful.