Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Snow Day!

Well, not quite. Although it's been very cold here, we have yet to see our first flake. And since Miss K's Circle Time theme for this week was winter and snow, she took matters into her own hands and made snow of her own using a little sno-cone machine.



The kids loved tasting the "snow" and using their senses to learn more about it. They each got to record their observations in their very own "My Little Snow Book," which Miss K made for each of them. They loved filling in the blanks on each page ("The snow tasted ________," The snow felt __________," etc.):



During Independent Work time, Miss D's son spent the entire day playing this game.

I'm not sure if the game would be found in your typical Montessori classroom, but I love it. The object is to navigate an ice cream truck through traffic, and Miss D's son did card...after card...after card. His brain was working pretty hard - toward the end of the day, he would lie down on the floor and rest in between "rounds."

Miss C's son also was hard at work. He poured water...


...spooned split peas...


...and pin-punched a snowman (among other things):


For arts and crafts, Miss K showed the kids how to make their own snowflakes...


...and she talked to them about how God made each of them unique as snowflakes. The kids glued their snowflakes to construction paper and then added this verse: "I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful..." (Psalm 139:14).


We closed with the "O" story and verse from My ABC Bible Verses: "Oh, give thanks to the Lord, for He is good," Psalm 118:1.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your blog!! You have provided some wonderful ideas and downloads. I am part of a small new Montessori school in Virginia and am glad to get some fresh ideas. I am AMS and have been a teacher for about 3 years. I look forward to reading about your adventures!

Anonymous said...

I love your blog too!!! I am a Montessori Inspired Daycare/Preschool provider. The kids in my care as well as my own love your activities and I love hearing about your daily routines.
Thanks and God Bless!!!